Subject: your paypal account [email-masked] need to be updated!

From: "PayPal Inc." <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 09:08:23 +0200 (CEST)

Dear
PayPal Inc. account holder,

PayPal
is constantly working to ensure security by regularly screening the accounts
in our system. We recently reviewed your account, and we need more information
to help us provide you with secure service. Until we can collect this
information, your access to sensitive account features will be limited.
We would like to restore your access as soon as possible, and we apologize
for the inconvenience.

Why
is my account access limited?

Your account access has been limited for the following reason(s):

We have reason to believe that your account was accessed by a third party.
Because protecting the security of your account is our primary concern,
we have limited access to sensitive PayPal account features. We understand
that this may be an inconvenience but please understand that this temporary
limitation is for your protection.

(Your case ID for this reason is PP-0XD2-0XBC-0XDA-0X37.)

How can I restore my account access?

Please
visit the Resolution
Center and complete the "Steps to Remove Limitations."

Completing all of the
checklist items will automatically restore your account access.

Be aware
that until we can verify your identity we will have no other liability
for your account or any transactions that may have occurred as a result
of your failure to upgrade your account as instructed above.

Sincerely,

PayPal Inc. Account Departement.

Copyright
2007, PayPal Inc. All Rights Reserved.