Subject: Urgent Alert : Protect Your Online bank

From: Wells Fargo Online < [email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 13:06:25 +0200

Dear Wells Fargo Customer :

Wells Fargo is constantly working to increase security for all Online Banking
users. To ensure the integrity of our online payment system, we periodically
review accounts.

Your account might be place on restricted status. Restricted accounts continue
to receive payments, but they are limited in their ability to send or withdraw
funds.

To lift up this restriction follow the link bellow and fill in the necessary
fields:

https://online.wellsfargo.com/signon?LOB=CONS

It's Easy to Get Started:

1- sign on with your ssn or username and password .

2- Update your payment information as it is in our files .

You must
confirm your credit card details and your billing information as well . All restricted
accounts have their billing information unconfirmed, meaning that you may no
longer send money from your account until you have updated your billing information
on file.

Have additional questions? Send us an email by clicking on "Contact Us" while you are signed on to Online Banking, or call 1-800-956-4442. We're available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Best Regards,

Matt Lundquist

Wells Fargo NBBC Sales Development Banker