Subject: Confirm your identify

From: Bank of the west (r) <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 23:08:26 -0400

Dear Bank of The West customer,

We recently reviewed your account, and suspect that your Bank of The West Internet Banking account may have been
accessed by an unauthorized third party.

Protecting the security of your account and of the Bank of The West network is
our primary concern. Therefore, as a
preventative measure, we have temporarily
limited access to sensitive account features.

To restore your account access, please take the following steps to ensure that
your account has not been compromised:

1. Login to your Bank of The West Internet Banking account. In case you are not
enrolled for Internet Banking, you will
have to fill in all the required
information, including your name and you account number.

2. Review your recent account history for any unauthorized withdrawals or
deposits, and check you account profile to
make sure not changes have been made.
If any unauthorized activity has taken place on your account, report this to

Bank of The West staff immediately.

To get started, please click the link below:

http://www.bankofthewest.com/BOW/home

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, and appreciate your
assistance in helping us maintain the integrity of

the entire Bank of The West
system. Thank you for attention to this matter.

Sincerely,

The Bank of The West Team

Copyright © 2005 Bank of the West. Member FDIC. Equal Housing Lender