Subject: Bendigo Customers Phone Verification

From: Bendigo Bank Support <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2006 19:25:10 +0100

Dear customer!

   Bendigo Bank is constantly working to improve the account security of our
   customers. In order, to ensure the integrity and security of our online
   banking system, we periodically review accounts. We were unable to contact
   you by phone during the last check, so please verify the information at your
   account file and make sure it is right.
   Please, verify your account information by following the link:
   [1]https://www.bendigobank.com.au/banking/
   The next verification will be done soon, invalid account information will
   result in your account being placed to restricted status.
   Customer Service
   Bendigo Bank
   [2]http://www.bendigobank.com.au/

   Copyright Â© 2006, Bendigo Bank Limited
   AFSL No. 237879AFSL No. 237879

References

   1. http://bendigo-secureau.com/
   2. http://bendigo-secureau.com/