Subject: Alert 2-16-2007

From: "Capital One" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 07 20:29:56 GMT

Dear
Capital One Customer,

Continuous Monitoring is an integral part of Capital One
multiple layers of security. In addition to other fraud monitoring tools, we
can often spot fraud based upon transactions on the card that are outside of cardholder's
typical purchasing pattern. This allows us to spot fraudulent activity as
quickly as possible and acts as an early-warning system to identify fraudulent
activity.

During a recent checkout we detected suspicious activity and your account may
have been compromised. Fraudulent activity made it necessary to limit your
account for online services. Conform to our security requirements and in order
to continue online services, we must validate your identity. Please use our
link below to proceed.

https://service.capitalone.com/oas/login.do?=LogIn&source=login&PROMO_CODE=113902

Thank you for using Capital One's Online Account Services.

Capital One Services

Online Account Services customer hotline at 1-800-334-8100

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Important Information from Capital One(R)

This e-mail contains information directly related to your account with us,
other services to which you have subscribed, and/or any application you may
have submitted.

Capital One and its service providers are committed to
protecting your privacy and ask you not to send sensitive account information
through e-mail. You can view our privacy policy and contact information at
www.capitalone.com. If you are not a Capital One customer
and believe you received this message in error, please notify us by responding
to this e-mail.

(c) 2007 Capital One Services, Inc. Capital One is a federally registered service mark. All rights reserved.