Subject: Protect Yourself Against Financial Fraud!

From: Importants of Bank of the West <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2005 16:34:10 -0700

Dear Online Customer,

As part of our security measures,we regularly
screen activity in the Banking system.We recently noticed the
following issue on your Online Banking account:A recent review of
your Online account determined that we need some additional
information from you in order to provide you with online secure
service. Case ID Number: FW-222-367-412. For your protection, we
have limited access to your Online account until additional
security measures can be completed.

We encourage you to log in to your account as
soon as possible to help avoid this. Once you log in, you will be
provided with steps to restore your account access to regular
standing. We appreciate your understanding as we work to guarantee
account safety.In accordance with Bank of the West's Agreement,
your account access will remain limited until the issue has been
resolved. If access to your account remains limited for an
extended period of time, it may result in further limitations or
account closure.

Login to
Online Account

Please understand that this is a safety measure
meant to help protect you and your account. Thank you for your
attention to this problem. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Sincerely,

Bank of the West, Member FDIC, Online Banking
Customer Service