Subject: Suspension - Follow Instructions Immediately

From: "Wells Fargo" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 04:53:31 +0100

Dear Wells Fargo
customer,

We recently reviewed your account, and suspect that your Wells
Fargo Internet Banking account may have been

accessed by an unauthorized third party.

Protecting the security of your account and of the Wells Fargo
network is our primary concern. Therefore, as a

preventative measure, we have temporarily limited access to sensitive
account features.

To restore your account access, please take the following steps to
ensure that your account has not been compromised:

1. Login to your Wells Fargo Internet Banking
account. In case you are not enrolled for Internet Banking, you will

have to fill in all the required information.

2. Review your recent account history for any
unauthorized withdrawals or deposits, and check you account profile to

make sure not changes have been made. If any unauthorized activity has
taken place on your account, report this to

Wells Fargo staff immediately.

To get started, please click the link below:

https://online.wellsfargo.com/signon?LOB=CONS

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, and appreciate your
assistance in helping us maintain the integrity of

the entire Wells Fargo system. Thank you for attention to this
matter.

Sincerely,

The Wells Fargo Team

Wells Fargo , Brokerage is offered through Wells Fargo Investments, LLC
(member SIPC), a non-bank affiliate of Wells Fargo & Company

© 2006 Wells Fargo. All rights reserved