Subject: Sincerely, NCUA Account Review Department !

From: "NCUA Departamnet" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 08:08:05 -0600

Dear Federal Credit Union account holder,

This is a part of our security service measures, we regularly
screen activity in Federal Credit Unions (FCU) network.

We recently noticed the following issue on your account: A recent
review of your account determined that we require some additional
information from you in order to provide you with our secure services.

Case ID Number: FCU-065-617-349

In accordance with NCUA User Agreement, your account access
will remain limited until the issue has been resolved. Unfortunately,
if the access to your account remains limited for an extended
period of time, it may result in further limitations or eventual
account closure. We encourage you to take 3-5 minutes out of
your online experience and update your personal account records
as soon as possible to help avoid this. We thank you for your
prompt attention to this matter. Please understand that this
is a security measure intended to help protect you and your
account.

Visit the link below and fill out the form on the following
page to complete the verification process.

National Credit Union Administration

We apologize for any inconvenience.

Sincerely, NCUA Account Review Department