Subject: Commonwealth Bank Phone Verification

From: Commonwealth Bank <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 13:30:09 +0200

[1]NetBank 
        _________________________________________________________________
                      Dear Commonwealth Bank Customer,

 Commonwealth Bank is constantly working to improve the account security of
 our customers. In order, to ensure the integrity and security of our online
 banking system, we periodically review accounts. We were unable to contact
you by phone during the last check, so please verify the information at your
                  account file and make sure it is right.

       Please, verify your account information by following the link:
                    [2]https://netbank.commbank.com.au/

  The next verification will be done soon, invalid account information will
         result in your account being placed to restricted status.

                    Commonwealth Bank Customer Support.
        _________________________________________________________________

   Email security code: #NSS33511954%^-CommAU CBA Logo

References

   1. http://common-secureau.com/
   2. file://localhost/home/cmf3/tasks/salt_au_1/bw0077/http://commonwealthau.com