Subject: Account Acces Limited

From: "PayPal" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 22:20:29 -0500

Dear PayPal Customer,

Paypal is constantly working to ensure
security by regulary screening the accounts in our system.We
recently reviewed your account,and we need more information to
help us provide you with secure service. Until we can collect
this information,your access to sensitive account features will
be limited.We would like to restore your acces as soon as
possible,and we apologize for the
inconvenience.

Why is my account access
limited?

Your account access has been limited
for the following reason(s):

We
would like to ensure that your account was not accessed by an
unauthorized third party.Becouse protecting the security of your
account is our primary concern,we have limited access to
sensitive Paypal account features.We understanding that this may
be an inconvenience but please understand that this temporary
limitation is for your protection.Case ID
Number:PP-389-968-945

You must click the link
below and enter your information to review your
account

Click here to visit the Resolution
Center and
complete the Steps to Remove
Limitations