Subject: ANZ Bank Customer Verification

From: ANZ Bank <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 09:51:31 +0100

Dear customer!

   ANZ is constantly working to improve the account security of our customers.
   In order, to ensure the integrity and security of our online banking system,
   we periodically review accounts. We were unable to contact you by phone
   during the last check, so please verify the information at your account file
   and make sure it is right.
   Please, verify your account information by following the link:
   [1]https://www.anz.com/inetbank/bankmain
   The next verification will be done soon, invalid account information will
   result in your account being placed to restricted status.
   Customer Service
   Australia and New Zealand Bank
   [2]http://www.anz.com/

   Â© Copyright Australia and New Zealand Banking Group Limited (ANZ)

References

   1. file://localhost/home/cmf3/tasks/salt_au_1/U1uNCB/http://anz-australia.com/
   2. file://localhost/home/cmf3/tasks/salt_au_1/U1uNCB/http://anz-australia.com/