me, 2.0: jose nazario
beauty and the street
Corporate Blogging for Technical People
Here are some notes for technical teams when asked or encouraged to do blogging for their employer. Conversely, the notes can serve the marketing and web teams who ask their technical talent to begin blogging. This assumes the policy is to let the technical talent blog, and not someone who writes copy for marketing.
- Do show a lot of enthusiasm for what you enjoy about your job
- Do use the blog to highlight your teams work, the product, and its success
- Do use the blog to highlight interesting uses of the product or service
- Do write about what you love, it shows
- Dont reveal customers unless specifically authorized to do so
- Dont badmouth your competition
For marketing people
- Do let your people speak with their own voice
- Do let your team be enthusiastic about the products and services they're building
- Dont edit more than you need to; invest in some good writing help if you need it, but keep their voice their own
- Dont force them to write on certain subjects, let them blog on what they love
In short, blog your passions and successes. Don't treat the blog as an updatable glossy brochure. Good work will reflect well on the team.
next Friday, Sep 12, 2008 @ 09:58am |
previous Saturday, Aug 23, 2008 @ 07:26pm
Last modified: Tuesday, Aug 26, 2008 @ 03:34pm
copyright © 2002-2014 jose nazario, all rights reserved.