amd64, nforce4, 3 memory clusters instead of 2 -> 4gb trouble

i don't know if this is the right mailing list for this, but i own an amd64-
box with 4gb ram.

the bootmanager tells me that the system contains of 3 memory clusters, one with
640kb, the second with 2560mb, the third with 1530mb:

probing... [639k 2560M 1530M a20=on]

(i can't recall the exact numbers at the moment...)
however, the kernel only recognizes the first 2, leaving me with a total of
2.6gb. (which, basically, sucks...)

sadly, it wasn't possibly to handle the problem as described in faq 4.12.1.

so i dug into the sources of boot and the kernel, to see the difference between
the two approaches.
for boot, the file /usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/stand/libsa/memprobe.c depends on
the bios to tell where the correct memcluster starts and where it ends.
in the kernel, this is hard-coded: the file
/usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/amd64/machdep.c clearly states "mem_cluster_cnt=2;",
while it starts the second cluster at IOM_END.

i really want this nasty problem to vanish.
now i am looking for a way to detect the beginning of the third memory-cluster.

--

Visit your host, monkey.org