Re: accouting log rotation

On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 07:12:03PM +0100, Antoine Jacoutot wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Nov 2005, Jason McIntyre wrote:
>
> >the hooks for accounting are already contained in /etc/rc - basically
> >accton(1) will be run if /var/account/acct exists.
>
> I know that... this is not at all what my mail was about.
>
> >whether you wish to have daily/weekly/monthly/... mails or not is your
> >choice. ac(8) now documents one way to do this.
>
> Well, by default you will get daily/weekly... mails, so if accounting is
> enabled on the system, why not sending a report in the weekly mail.
> Since there's a check to see if /var/account/acct exists before doing
> "ac -p | sort -nr +1", it should not change anything to users who do not
> use accounting.
>
> Antoine

i meant daily/weekly/monthly... *accounting* mails.

i guess the flip side is that just because someone has accounting
enabled, it does not always follow that they will want mail reports
about it. and if they do, it might be daily/weekly/monthly... i suspect
the reason that it has always been commented out is it did not suit
enough people.

having said that, having bits in /etc/weekly commented out does not seem
to be the normal openbsd way of doing things...

jmc