Re: Heads Up: X.Org R6.8.1 imported in XF4

	On Wed, Nov 03, 2004 at 01:33:51AM +0100, Matthieu Herrb wrote:
	> Hi,
	>
	> I've imported the X.Org release 6.8.1 in XF4.

	What does this exactly mean?

Moving forward.

	You have imported X.org source code _over_ XFree86 4.x code?

Yes.

	That would probably imply huge diffs.

X.org started from XFree86 code, so, that's what it is.

	Why not a new CVS tree?

Because.

	Also, what's the real advantage?

More free.  More modern.  Not dead.

	Isn't X.org's license equally questionable?

No.

	They have taken a project under MIT (equivalent to BSD) license
	and are beginning to move it to GPL.

No they are not.

	What's so good about that?

If they do that, they will get into the same trouble as XFree86 did.

	Please, understand that these are genuine questions.
	I'm not trying to oppose you.
	I'm trying to understand what's going on here.
	I believe you are much better informed. :-)

I think we are.  They may want to use some GPL'd build tools but if
they start putting GPL parts directly into X, then that is going to
cause another X split.

I promise.