From: owner-tech_(_at_)_openbsd_(_dot_)_org [mailto:owner-tech_(_at_)_openbsd_(_dot_)_org] On Behalf Of
Andrey Smagin
Sent: 23 August 2003 22:36
To: tech_(_at_)_openbsd_(_dot_)_org
Subject: Re: Potential issue with Linux emulation?

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 22:17:07 +0100
Andreas Kähäri <ak_(_at_)_freeshell_(_dot_)_org> wrote:

> I wonder if this has anything at all to do with my problem in the
> "ntpd doesn't keep good time" thread on misc@ from the 20th & 21st
> this month?  I also saw my clock warp back to 1970, but didn't really
> think that the Linux emulation had anything to do with it.

Hmm, I had similar problem just a few days ago. After upgrading two servers
to -current and installing ntp package, my date gets reset to September 22,
1944 about five minutes after reboot (well, that's the time that 'date'
reports, but if I reboot and check the date in BIOS, it's <something> in
1988.

Both servers are i386 (Gateway Server 6400 and 7200, dmesg avl. upon
request), one was upgraded from source and had ntp-4.1.1 installed, another
one was a clean install from snapshot and had ntp-4.1.74. Both servers were
running ntp with the same settings without problems before. I uninstalled
ntp from both of them and the date does not get reset now.

Also, cron really was not happy with the date changing like that - it would
start using 25-35% of the CPU while doing nothing.

--
Andrey

Visit your host, monkey.org