Re: Potential issue with Linux emulation?

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 22:17:07 +0100
Andreas Kähäri <ak_(_at_)_freeshell_(_dot_)_org> wrote:

> I wonder if this has anything at all to do with my problem in
> the "ntpd doesn't keep good time" thread on misc@ from the 20th
> & 21st this month?  I also saw my clock warp back to 1970, but
> didn't really think that the Linux emulation had anything to do
> with it.

Hmm, I had similar problem just a few days ago. After upgrading two
servers to -current and installing ntp package, my date gets reset to
September 22, 1944 about five minutes after reboot (well, that's
the time that 'date' reports, but if I reboot and check the date in
BIOS, it's <something> in 1988.

Both servers are i386 (Gateway Server 6400 and 7200, dmesg avl. upon
request), one was upgraded from source and had ntp-4.1.1 installed,
another one was a clean install from snapshot and had ntp-4.1.74.
Both servers were running ntp with the same settings without problems
before. I uninstalled ntp from both of them and the date does not get
reset now.

Also, cron really was not happy with the date changing like that - it
would start using 25-35% of the CPU while doing nothing.

--
Andrey

Visit your host, monkey.org