our i386 hack to block stack overflows ..

By the way, the hack we have in mind that might let some more of our
"buffer overflow prevention" security improvements work on i386, it
might cost 2-3% performance; that is my rough estimate.  I figure that
propolice itself slowed us down by 1-2%, not that I can tell.

I'm glad I don't put much basis on yammerings on slashdot, or I might
develop a perception that 2-3% is too much slowdown for the security
gained.

In fact, I'm real glad.  We'll try.