Re: md5/sha1/rmd160 patch

On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 at 10:03:04PM +0200, Magnus Bodin wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 at 09:32:00AM -0700, William Ahern wrote:
> > i've patched the md5 program to take a new argument, -P, which rather
> > than appending the digest to the stdout stream-- after the hashed data--
> > will append it to a file instead.
>
> What's wrong with doing
>
> md5 myfile.bin >>myhashstorage.txt
>
> ?
>
> /magnus
>
> --
> http://x42.com/

what if i wanted to do something like:
dump -h0 -f - /home /home | bzip2 -c | md5 -P /tmp/digest | \
curl -sS -T - ftp://ftp.com

in fact, i do something very similar for my back procedure. i'm working on a
new script, and i wanted to keep checksums of the data since it'll be going
to a tape drive rather than over ftp.

if you know of another way to pull the digest out of stdout when using
the -p option, i'd like to know. i thought maybe something w/ tee
and/or tail, but it's difficuly w/ just a single stream to work w/....

Visit your host, monkey.org