Re: No support for $HOSTALIASES env var

On Wed, 14 Nov 2001, Matt Bing wrote:

> Ralph Forsythe said:
> > Personally I think it's a dumb move since this is a very useful utility,
> > so I hope it's sticking around obsd for a while...
>
> Personally I prefer dig, but nslookup has become such a standard tool
> I see no benefit in removing it.

I am guessing that this has been well documented and covered on our
forums.

nslookup makes it harder to research or understand problems; for example:

nslookup says "Can't find server name for address"

*** Can't find server name for address 63.91.101.54: Non-existent host/domain
*** Default servers are not available

In this case, nslookup doesn't tell you much and is often misleading.

(The real problem: in-addr.arpa reverse lookups for the IP address don't
work.)

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/