Re: OFFTOPIC: DNS question

> If I have the DNS ns1.aaa.com and ns2.bbb.com and register the domain
> ccc.com, I could specify
>
> 1)
> ns1.aaa.com
> ns2.bbb.com
This would be one way to do it.

> as ccc.com's nameservers, or I could create host aliases
>
> 2)
> ns1.ccc.com pointing to ns1.aaa.com's IP address and
> ns2.ccc.com pointing to ns2.bbb.com's IP address.

This is not so good. You must not do it with a CNAME, CNAMES should not
be on the right hand side of you zone file!

You could point A records and get the results you desire.

> Is there any technical advantage/disadvantage of 1) vs. 2) (for example if
> the root GTLD database becomes corrupted again)?

One big reason is that Network Solutions does not allow two different
name servers to have the same IP address.

> BTW, is there a way to host a site at two different locations, configuring
> one site as a backup site only, so that if one site fails the other one
> automatically takes over the www/mail/ftp traffic?

Yes. There are a number of ways to do this. Your name servers must be
located in such a way as to have at least one available if a site goes
down.
--

Beekeeping teaches patience and self control. What else would be expected
from the practice of opening a box containing 40,000 stinging insects.
AA4YU http://www.beekeeper.org http://www.q7.net