openSSH 2.2.0 from CVS not started on boot

I upgraded my box to the newest CVS and it was less painfull then I expected.
I would appreciate a smooth way to upgrade /etc and /var but it worked out OK
mostly.

The problem I see is that Openssh is not starting up at boottime like it used
to. only when I start it with debugging anabled will it work. When I do so it
says:

root_(_at_)_petrus~> sshd -d
debug1: sshd version OpenSSH_2.2.0
debug1: read DSA private key done
debug1: Bind to port 22 on ::.
Server listening on :: port 22.
debug1: Bind to port 22 on 0.0.0.0.
Server listening on 0.0.0.0 port 22.
Generating 768 bit RSA key.
RSA key generation complete.
debug1: Server will not fork when running in debugging mode.
Connection from 192.168.1.11 port 1384
debug1: Client protocol version 1.5; client software version OpenSSH_2.2.0p1
debug1: Local version string SSH-1.99-OpenSSH_2.2.0
debug1: Sent 768 bit public key and 1024 bit host key.
debug1: Encryption type: 3des
debug1: Received session key; encryption turned on.
debug1: Installing crc compensation attack detector.
bla....

I do not find anything in /log/messages or /daemons

what could be the problem? Is it a known one?