Re: How little memory do I need?

On Wed, Apr 19, 2000 at 02:15:00PM +0100, Jon Ribbens wrote:
> "Denis A. Doroshenko" <d_(_dot_)_doroshenko_(_at_)_omnitel_(_dot_)_net> wrote:
> > uhm, that's not nice, unless it's the behaviour of install kernels only, and
> > generic/custom don't behave this way. why it does not kill ftp, or anything
> > other (shell executing install script :-), i saw some talks on freebsd
> > hackers list about criterias for choosing a process to kill when kernel
> > finds no resources any more.
>
> After reading "The Design and Implementation of the 4.4BSD Operating System",
> it seemed to me that if you want an operating system that copes with
> out-of-memory, you don't want a BSD UNIX.

well my "daemon book" just arrived, and i just started ;-) although i don't
see the reason preventing us from making it any better.

i liked the criteria showed up on meant mailing list: every process has his
"weight", which is decreased during each fork(). when kernel is in search
for resources it selects a process to kill using that parameter -- weight.
this way children are killed and parent procecesses still run...

--
Denis A. Doroshenko
Omnitel Ltd., Sevcenkos 25, Vilnius 2600, Lithuania