Re: uname -r

On Thu, Jan 07, 1999 at 10:52:51AM -0800, Marco S Hyman wrote:
> Hmmm, I guess I wasn't paying much attention.  When did uname -r add
> "-current" to the version?   With sources as of yesterday make build
> fails in gcc, I believe due to this change.

>        PATH="/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin" \
>        INSTALL_PROGRAM="install -c -s"  \
>        /bin/sh /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gcc/configure \
>        --with-gnu-as --with-gnu-ld  --prefix=/usr --with-local-prefix=/usr \
>        --with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/include/g++ \
>        sparc-unknown-openbsd`uname -r` && touch config.status

The key to the matter is in  gcc/Makefile.bsd-wrapper, and gcc/config.guess.
I think we hardcoded ${M_ARCH}-unknown-openbsd`uname -r` to avoid hacking at
config.guess, and/or being sure we configure for the right system name.

Normally, config.guess is the standard repository for hacks that
`canonicalize' system names: main configure expects a name that looks like
proc-vendor-os, with dashes as separators.

If we want to have dashes in uname -r, we can either hack at
Makefile.bsd-wrapper, or at gcc/config.guess.

- is there any standard about allowed disallowed characters in uname -r ?
- do we want to have 24-current for a version number even temporarily ?

In such a case, the sanest thing is to hack at config.guess, and to try to
get the change into egcs -> if we want this, I can commit the needed change.
If you want to do it yourself, you need to fill a form with the FSF so that
the change gets back to gcc's main source.

As far as Makefile.bsd-wrapper goes, dash is the only forbidden character.
Something like

VERSION != uname -r|sed -e s,-,_,
GCC_ARCH=${GCC_ARCH}-unknown-openbsd${VERSION}

ought to work...
--
	Marc Espie