Re: Oct 7 build fails

On Thu, Oct 08, 1998 at 03:01:57PM +0000, William Allen Simpson wrote:
> It appears that the make clean in httpd is fixed, and now we move on to
> the next phase:
>         (cd /usr/src/lib && make depend && make &&   make install)
>
> The /usr/src/ssl/src/ssl/... has been moved to /usr/src/lib/libssl/....
> Good idea, I hope?  Not quite:
>
> ===> libskey
> mkdep -a /usr/src/lib/libskey/skeylogin.c /usr/src/lib/libskey/skeysubr.c /usr/src/lib/libskey/put.c
> ===> libssl
> ===> libssl/crypto
> make: don't know how to make cryptlib.c. Stop
> *** Error code 2
>
> Somebody is _not_ doing make builds at home before doing commits.

Yeah, sure.

Go develop your own OS.
Follow your procedure.
- Write a patch
- do a rm -rf /usr/obj && make obj && make build
- commit if the make build works.

do that for every little change you add, we'll meet you in a thousand year,
when you start adding TCP/IP to your setup.

Oh yes, and pushing your reasoning, manage to get a make build done on every
architecture you support before you consider your patch stable.

That's what current is for... testing changes so that the general public
won't be bitten. Can't you read the NOTICES ?

like, experimental code, d00d, use at your own risk.

If you can't deal with something as simple as fixing up trivial build
problems, go back to running stable.

Asking the ml what to do when things go wrong is ok, being totally clueless
and bitching about it is not.

For your information, some build times:
- my old Amiga 3000: one week.
- my newer Amiga 2000: one day.
- my pentium laptop: five hours.

Times are similar for most everybody.  Everyone's doing builds when they
can, checking stuff and fixing small problems (emphasis on SMALL).

What's important is that the releases work, and that security fixes appear
on time.  Trivia with current is developper's turf.
--
	Marc Espie