mvme88k kernel problems

Hello,
I'm working on a kernel for the mvme88k.  I'm running into some problems
with the autoconfig process.  I know this is very machine dependant, but
maybe someone has had a similar problem on another arch.

The problem:
kernel autoconfigs the cl device,
then the siop device,
then bombs with an exception before the scsibus is configured.

The exception number is 0 (zero).  Looking through the code I find that this
exception occours when there is a non-trap exception and shadowing registers
is off.

I can get the exception at another point by specifying -d kernel param.

As soon as Debugger( ) is called from consinit( ), BOMB!

Any clues?

Thanks.