OpenBSD under VirtualPC - DEC 21041 (Tulip) ethernet not properly recognized

I'm trying to install a fairly recent snapshot of OpenBSD (17 April) under
VirtualPC on a Mac PowerBook.  (I am tired of carrying two laptops, and I
want my OpenBSD. :-)

So far, it boots fine, except for the following:

[...]
"Intel 82371FB (Triton) PCI-ISA Bridge" rev 0x02 ...
de0 at pci0 dev 9 function 0 "Digital Equipment DECchip 21041 (Tulip Pass
3)" rev 0x11: can't read ENET ROM (why=-3)
(ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

de0: 21041 [10Mb/s] pass 1.1 address unknownisa0 at mainbus0
isadma0 at isa0

As you would expect after this, I'm unable to configure the networking
during the install process.

VirtualPC is emulating a DEC 21041-based PCI ethernet card.  It defaults to
IRQ 1, and is plug-and-play.  There is no apparent way to change its
default settings otherwise (Connectix, of course, will neither confirm or
deny, but I'm still working on them).

To confirm that the problem still exists, I would try a more recent boot
floppy from a more recent snapshot.  However, such are not available,
apparently deliberately, due to the 2.3 release next month.

Has anyone else tried this (insane?) configuration, and found or made a
work-around?  Suggestions for things to try will be gratefully accepted as
well.  (I think I actually saw a pig fly by my window earlier, so anything
can happen.)

Richard

Visit your host, monkey.org