Chatscript Problems

Hi, I am having a few problems with an old PnP, bastardized modem.  In my ppp options, I incorporated the use of a chatscript, which I know for a fact is perfectly correct and should work. But for some reason if I try to run pppd, sometimes the modem will actually dial, sometimes it won't. At some times I have to run pppd about 30 times before the modem will actually dial. I was wondering if this is due to the chatscript sending init/dial commands too quickly, and thus the modem just timing out. Please let me know if you have any info/suggestions for me, thank you for your time and consideration.
						chavez_(_at_)_iago_(_dot_)_nac_(_dot_)_net

Visit your host, monkey.org