[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
i386 bootblock woes
- To: tech_(_at_)_openbsd_(_dot_)_org
- Subject: i386 bootblock woes
- From: uk1o_(_at_)_rz_(_dot_)_uni-karlsruhe_(_dot_)_de
- Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 17:50:58 +0200 (CES)
I have a machine here, installed from a beginning of August
The problem is:
- The old style boot blocks won't boot (they just hang without any
usable error message) from harddisk.
- The new style boot block (0.99a) won't work from harddisk but only
from floppy (that's the way I boot the machine now)
- The current (cvs update from cvs.no.openbsd.org today) blocks don't
work, neither from floppy, nor from harddisk.
From harddisk, the message is this:
From floppy, it boots to a bit before the point, where the "boot>"
prompt should be displayed, but hangs there.
The machine is an old IBM PS/2 with ISA bus, Adaptec 1542 SCSI controller,
about 1GB harddisk.
The old style bootblocks were installed by the installer (and hanged).
The current bootblock was tried to install with
cp /usr/mdec/boot /
/usr/mdec/installboot -v -h 4 -s 109 /boot /usr/mdec/biosboot /dev/rsd0c
I also tried /dev/rsd0a instead of /dev/rsd0c. Same error...
The new bootfloppy (that didn't work either) was made thusly:
disklabel -r -w fd0 floppy3
mount /dev/fd0a /mnt
cp /usr/mdec/boot /mnt/.
gzip -9 </bsd >/mnt/bsd
/usr/mdec/installboot -v /mnt/boot /usr/mdec/biosboot /dev/rfd0a
Can you help?
Thanks in advance,
Visit your host, monkey.org