Re: updating for update's sake

<bsd_(_at_)_openbsd_(_dot_)_rutgers_(_dot_)_edu> wrote:

> Once upon a time it seemed that these "gratuitous" updates were frowned
> upon.

Depends what you term "gratuitous".  Following test (alpha, beta,
pre-) releases without a good reason is frowned upon.  By contrast,
following regular/stable releases looks like a normal part of
maintaining a port to me.  Bugs do get fixed, and frequently the
extent of this is not clear from the change log.

> But I am curious what the official stance is now.

I'm not sure we have one. :->

> I'm probably just thinking too hard about this.

Yes, I think you are.