policy about /usr/local/<package_basename>

Hi,

I would like to know more about the policy concerning path names like /usr/local/mozilla-firefox. My personal interpretation of things is that it's like this (concerning the official tree):

``In general, using a subdirectory directly below $PREFIX is not allowed and packages should install their stuff in $PREFIX/share/{.,examples,doc}/<package_basename> and .../lib/<package_basename>, respectively, as expected. Exceptions to the rule can be made if it significantly reduces a huge and complicated port's complexity, and enough committers/people-with-say-in-the-matter OK it.''

Is this how it is?

Moritz

Visit your host, monkey.org