Re: RFC changes in version numbering schemes

On Thu, Nov 03, 2005 at 11:04:35AM +0100, Marc Espie wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 03, 2005 at 10:34:21AM +0800, Uwe Dippel wrote:
> > If you dared to be radical, you'd split the name into 3 parts:
> > generic name - human readable version - unix time.
> >
> > That would read
> > python-expat-2.3.5-1131013320
[snip]

> This does not take care of branch issues...

Which branch issues do you mean?
Do you mean things like python 2.3 vs python 2.4?

There are relatively few ports which allow you to install more than
one version, and (I think) most could be handle with something like
python2.3-expat-2.3.5-1131013320

(I agree that DNS-SOA-style numbers are easier to read than seconds.)

Comparing one single number is preferable to multiple special-cased suffixes.

Regards,
Andrew Dalgleish

Visit your host, monkey.org