Re: new gd port (and rrdtool)

On 25/10/05, frantisek holop <minusf_(_at_)_obiit_(_dot_)_org> wrote:
> call me stupid, but i find these 2 statements countering each other:
>
> "It doesn't need X11." vs "Yes, just install xbase"
>
> if gd can run only with xbase, for me that means gd cannot run w/o X11.
>
> please note that my question was not
> "how can i make gd work without _running also_ X?"

Depending on a couple of libraries (which you could extract from
xbase) doesn't mean that you need to "sysctl machdep.allowaperture=2"
or run any of the binaries found in xserv which specialize in
scribbling pretty pictures to the graphics hardware.

My soekris doesn't have graphics hardware at all, but I can still use
the X libraries to manipulate blobs of bits which could be
meaningfully interpreted as an image, and then write those bits to a
file for use on a different machine. I'm not using an X server to do
that bit fiddling, thus I am not running X.