Question about kde builds

After looking through my build logs of the new version of KDE I noticed something I haven't noticed before.

During 'configure' the build tries to create a file '//.kde/share' but there is an error saying "permission denied". I have SUDO defined in /etc/mk.conf hence I build and install the port as a regular user.

This isn't a show stopper as everything seems to work fine.

My questions are should I be building the port as root, and why does it need to create this file on my 'slash' partition which is very small on advice from INSTALL.i386?

Rik