Re: mysql server in 3.7 ports & packages

On 5/19/05, Chris Kuethe <chris_(_dot_)_kuethe_(_at_)_gmail_(_dot_)_com> wrote:
> On 5/19/05, Kevin <spytag_(_at_)_gmail_(_dot_)_com> wrote:
>
> > What I really *did* get is:
> >
> > # mysqld: command not found   (And yes, I added the packages.)
>
> Mysqld won't be in your path. The way to start mysqld is
> /usr/local/bin/mysqld_safe &

Yeah. The challenge was that most of the binaries we're all used to
seeing for MySQL simply weren't being installed.

So... that said, I reinstalled the machine from a completely clean
slate, and voila! It (of course) all works perfectly and as
advertised. <sigh>

Why? Well, after some poking around on another identical machine of
ours, I discovered the ports collection on it was indeed out of sync
with the release version. Grrr. It appears this was the same situation
with this machine, too, and that the problem was probably created by
our (my) own doings when I was having trouble with the packages and
ports when the libintl dependency wasn't installing properly in some
intermediary not-quite-release version, and I went in there playing
Tommy Toggle trying to shoehorn it into action. Ack.

So, in summary two words: My fault.  :-|

It works. Thanks for the help. Sorry all.

Kevin

Visit your host, monkey.org