New ports code on -stable

I'm working on a port (Courier-META), and once finished I plan on running it on a 3.6-stable machine. However, my development machine (which is much faster) is running -current and I'd like to take advantage of the new features in the packaging tools. I'd also like to avoid having to write the port twice (once for -current, once for -stable).

Will the new packaging tools work on -stable, or have there been too many changes?

Could I install a -stable binary package using the new tools, or would that break?

Could I build a -stable port using the -current tools, or has everything in infrastructure changed too much?

I'm trying to decide which is less trouble, writing two ports, running -current package tools on -stable, or chasing the moving target of -current on a production (home) mail server.