Re: ORBit broken on amd64?

Matthieu Herrb <matthieu_(_dot_)_herrb_(_at_)_laas_(_dot_)_fr> wrote:

> rebuilding my ports after the flag day, I can't rebuild ORBbit: [...]
> It looks like a libtool issue... help is welcome.

For once, libtool isn't to blame here.

As the linker error says, that object file should have been built
with -fPIC if it was supposed to go into a shared library.  But how
is the file generated in the first place?  In one of the most bizarre
twists I have yet seen, the build extracts the .o files from
/usr/lib/libwrap.a, renames them to .lo, and tries to add them to
the shared library.  Presumably whoever wrote this has retired to
a padded room where he is now busy clawing out his eyes.

Anyway, the remarkably idiosyncratic build strategy is triggered
by an autoconf test whose result has been toggled on systems after
the flag day.  That in turn is due to

        if test -f $THEFILE/libwrap.so*; then

erroring out when libwrap.so* expands to more than one file, which
it tends to do on upgraded systems after a major library bump.

Fixed now.