Re: New port: Exim4

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 16:55:05 +0000 (UTC) Benny Siegert <bsiegert_(_at_)_herc_(_dot_)_66h_(_dot_)_42h_(_dot_)_de> wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Apr 2004, Peter Galbavy wrote:
> > multiversion ports - mail/exim/exim3 & mail/exim/exim4 - there are still
> > many reasons to carry exim3 around :)

> Are there?

> Let's face it, exim3 is not maintained any more. If you tell on
> exim-users_(_at_)_exim_(_dot_)_org that you use exim3 and have a problem with it, the
> first answer is always "Upgrade to exim4". Version 3 really should not be
> deployed on new systems.

i concur.

most of those of us who hang out on the exim-users list refuse to try to
answer exim 3 questions because we all switched to exim 4 more than
2 years ago and none of us really remember exim 3 that well anymore.

the only conceivable reason for keeping exim 3 around is because
someone doesn't want to deal with the incompatible changes to the
configuration file. i think that those people need to be encouraged to
move on, it's well past time they dealt with it.

richard
--
Richard Welty                                         rwelty_(_at_)_averillpark_(_dot_)_net