Re: Perl subdirectory?

On Mon, Apr 12, 2004 at 10:37:01AM -0400, Ian F. Darwin wrote:
> Given that the Perl people seem intent on building a separate little
> module for each bit of API functionality (Java by contrast builds a
> couple of thousand of these into its standard runtime "rt.jar"; will
> there be literally thousands of Perl modules?), we may need to have to
> find a different way of organizing the ports tree, or "p5-*" is going
> to seriously overwhelm the rest of the packages.  Maybe we should think
> about putting perl-objects into a subdirectory? Plus, won't they start
> being "p6-" some month soon?

I like this idea a lot.

I think following the CPAN categories would be convenient:

mail/p5-Mail-SpamAssassin -> perl/Mail/SpamAssassin

Depending on how volatiile the changeover is between v5 and v6, perhaps:

                          -> perl5/Mail/SpamAssassin
                          -> perl/5/Mail/SpamAssassin

I wonder if the powers that be will think growing the repo for better
organization / separation is worth it.

Visit your host, monkey.org