-current ports and packages on different machines / upgrading things like libiconv

Hi,

today I ran into trouble that I don't know how to solve easily.

I currently have three boxes running OpenBSD at the moment, the gateway
is 3.4-stable and my normal PC and the laptop have -current installed.

The PC is running -current for quite a while now, while I've put a fresh
install of -current on the laptop just a few days ago (it used to run
3.3-stable).

The result is, some ports on the laptop are more recent than on the PC,
for example libiconv (v1.8 on the PC, v1.9.1 on the laptop)... I install
smaller things on the laptop from ports, but since it isn't very fast, I
wanted to compile mozilla-firebird on the PC and in order to install the
package on the laptop.

Now things became a bit weird, even though both PC and laptop are
running the same version of -current (identical source and ports trees)
they are different, of course. The results looked like this:

mozilla-firebird depends on ORBit 0.5.13, which wasn't installed on the
laptop. The package from the PC could not be installed because of
"incorrect libspec: iconv.3". That's when I noticed that PC and laptop
run different libiconvs ... so my first question would be, how can I
upgrade/replace libiconv on the PC without recompiling all installed
ports that depend on it (they are many)? It used to work when pkg_delete
still had the -f option, but that's gone now.

Anyway, then I compiled ORBit on the laptop, since it was small, too.
Next missing thing that also didn't work was the dependency on
libmng-1.0.5p1 ... and now I'm stuck in a loop. Even though I compiled
and installed libmng on the laptop (this time they are identical on PC
and laptop), I keep on getting "... incorrect libspec: mng.1.0".

I will now compile firebird on the notebook itself, although I wish I
didn't have to... This will probably take about as long as a 'make
build'. ;/

Is there a solution to this problem, or is a strict separation of ports
vs packages required? Any hints on how to get the whole thing smoothed
out a bit?

Thanks for any insight, it is very appreciated,

Moritz

Visit your host, monkey.org