Re: [new port] gzip-1.2.4a

Chris Giard <cgiard_(_dot_)_ports_(_at_)_magerealm_(_dot_)_com> wrote:
> On Friday, Aug 22, 2003, at 17:59 US/Arizona, Jolan Luff wrote:
> >On Sat, Aug 23, 2003 at 12:58:35AM +0200, Han Boetes wrote:
> > > The reason for this port is because gnu-gzip doesn't need
> > > /dev/stdin to function, which makes it much easier to implement in
> > > the /var/www chroot. ie you don't have to make a device and change
> > > /etc/fstab
> >
> > The port still requires people to copy libraries and binaries to the
> > chroot area by hand. If there's manual intervention required, I
> > don't see a point to having this around.
>
> Even if there is manual intervention, the fact that you can leave /var
> mounted with nodev is a huge bonus.

True, but he has got a point. It's not the proper solution to the
problem.

I mean it's totally not straightforward to be confronted with an
errormessage like:

    Can't find /dev/stdin

Or whatever the exact message is. The solution of installing the old
gzip is not straightforward. I mean you only need it in the chroot. You
don't install a port because there is one file you have to move to your
chroot later on. Nope. This requires an entry in the faq or a rewrite of
gzip. Or something else which is beyond my limited grasp ;)

Hmmm lets cross-post this to bugs@ as well. #5 today. What's happenin'?

# Han