Re: opera 7.11 (m2)

On Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 07:40:36PM +0200, Sebastian Stark wrote:
> Can't say much about the bloat but for me Opera 7 runs MUCH faster than either
> Mozilla or Mozilla-Firebird. (-current on a Duron 1200 MHz CPU)
>
> Of course that doesn't mean your other points aren't valid.
>
> > In fact, I urge traditional users of Opera to look at Mozilla
> > (-Firebird).  I'm by no means happy with Mozilla from a ports
> > building perspective, but it beats a binary-only, commercial
> > product.  And strictly from a user perspective, it makes for a
> > very nice browser.

It does.  It certainly is a great browser.  But here's a question.

<my-rant-against-Mozilla>

How do you make Mozilla launch your favourite mail program when you
click on a mailto link?  Of course, the favourite mail program is
definitely _NOT_ Mozilla Mail (That is a bloat!).

If you are on Windows or MacOS you'd put something like this in your
user.js:

	user_pref("network.protocol-handler.external.mailto", true);
	user_pref("applications.mailto", "xterm -e mutt %h");
	user_pref("applications.mailto.host", "\"%url%\"");
	user_pref("applications.mailto.parameters", "%url%");

We are not on Windows, obviously.  I hoped that Firebird would solve the
issue since it's only a browser.  Well, instead of launching any mail,
it gives an error message that

	"mailto protocol is not registered"

Konqueror, Galeon, and Opera have no problems launching a mail program
specified in preferences.

Another small issue.  How do you bind a different key to a "Back"
action?  For example, your favourite window manager uses Alt-Left to
switch to the previous virtual desktop.  You do not want to recompile it
to use something else, because it's a year long habit for you.  Galeon
by default accepts Ctrl-Left, Konqueror can be set in a couple of
seconds to support Ctrl-Left too, through Settings->Configure Shortcuts.

In Mozilla you have to drop a file called userHTMLBindings.xml in
<MOZILLA_INSTALL_DIR>/res/builtin/ and have something like this
(this remaps h,j,k,l to scroll as in vi; notice that Konqueror and
Galeon do this by default)

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<!-- In order to work correctly, this file must be named -->
<!-- res/builtin/userHTMLBindings.xml in the mozilla tree. -->

<bindings id="htmlBindings"
  xmlns="http://www.mozilla.org/xbl";
  xmlns:xul="http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul";>

  <binding id="browserUser">
    <handlers>
      <handler event="keypress" key="h" command="cmd_scrollLeft"/>
      <handler event="keypress" key="j" command="cmd_scrollLineDown"/>
      <handler event="keypress" key="k" command="cmd_scrollLineUp"/>
      <handler event="keypress" key="l" command="cmd_scrollRight"/>
    </handlers>
  </binding>

</bindings>

But there was no "cmd_Back" and "cmd_Forward" to bind them to Ctrl-Left
and Ctrl-Right.  I found the names for JavaScript functions in Mozilla
code that perform back and forward operations, but rebinding to them
doesn't work.

First of all, why would one have to search for some obscure place to
drop some obscure file just to remap the keys.  They bloated the code so
much that implementing Ctrl-key besides Alt-key by default as in Galeon,
or easy configuration of shortcuts as in Konqueror wouldn't be noticed.

Finally, most of the browsers have become only better with every new
release.  Mozilla _always_ breaks something that worked in the previous
release.  They fix some bugs and then create others.  Here's an
illustration.  If you have a Mozilla-1.2 available visit
http://www.nationalgeographic.com/ and then visit it with Mozilla-1.3.
That's ridiculous.  Mozilla-1.4 slightly fixed the issue, but not
completely.

Of course, there are still sites that do not render well in some
browser, but they never rendered well before.  That's at least
consistent.  And number of such sites is smaller with each new release.
In Mozilla it seems to be kept at a constant (one bug for each fix).

</my-rant-against-Mozilla>

I do use Mozilla as a default browser launched on links from my mail
program (mutt), but I do not feel comfortable browsing the web in the
long run because of the above issues.

You have probably noticed that I prefer keyboard controlled
applications, so you can say it's my problem.  It certainly is.  And my
solution to that problem is that until the Mozilla developers resolve
those issues, I'll probably prefer other browsers.

--
Zvezdan Petkovic <zvezdan_(_at_)_cs_(_dot_)_wm_(_dot_)_edu>
http://www.cs.wm.edu/~zvezdan/