Opera 7 (was: Re: Update: redhat/base)

Generic Player <suck_(_at_)_my-balls_(_dot_)_com> wrote:

> I downloaded rpms for fontconfig, freetype, and expat, which made opera
> 7 work fine.  Seems just as stable as on linux.  Not sure how that
> would be handled for a port.

We'll probably just include these in redhat-base.

> I'll definately second that, and an opera 7 port should be feasable now
> too.

I've been playing with Opera 7.1.0 Beta 1 for a day now.

It appears stable.

(And of course the moment I write this, it betrays me by falling
into a coma for the second time within the hour.  Obviously more
observation is needed.)

My old registration key doesn't work any longer.  The advertising
isn't that obtrusive, though, and downloading it doesn't eat all
my bandwidth like it did in the Opera 5 days.

The default font is blurred.  I assume this is due to the anti-aliasing
efforts so many people are eager for.  What I can't tell is whether
what I'm seeing is actually intended to look this way or a problem
due to lack of server configuration, fonts, etc.  I use a vanilla
XF4.3 server with basically a default configuration and no extra
fonts.  In italics, some characters have dropouts that make such
text hard to read.

Opera might have a reputation as fast and lean, but I don't think
this is appropriate any longer.  There are so many buttons and menu
and thingies that I have given up trying to understand or remember
all of them.  They take up a lot of screen real estate, too.  If
you start Opera 7 from scratch with no prior configuration, it will
pop open a maximized window to compensate.  Running Opera remotely
(straight X11, 100Mbit/s switched), I observe that this new version
is noticeably slower than its predecessors.

There is a menu entry to import one's Netscape bookmarks, but if
it does something, I haven't managed to find the imported bookmarks
yet.

Tons of eye candy, from animated buttons to presenting little icons
for some web sites.  I guess the latter implements the Microsoft
favicon feature.