Re: Sparc64 Ports Problems

Artur Grabowski <art_(_at_)_blahonga_(_dot_)_org> wrote:

> > Multiple ports seem to compile & install fine, yet do not work at
> > all.
>
> My guess would be that they are not entirely 64-bit clean (no, stuff
> that works on alpha isn't necessarily 64-bit clean),

Most of the ports tree hasn't been tested on alpha either.  If you
watch many ports building, the sheer number of compiler warnings
pointing to LP64 problems is outright scary.  I think you could
sink a man-year into fixing most of those.

sparc64 is of course opposite to i386 in all respects that concern
portability across different architectures:  it's 64-bit, big-endian,
and requires strict alignment.  Plenty of opportunity for your
average "all the world's an i386" programmer to screw up.

> or that they are running into bugs in gcc.

While possible, this is least likely.