[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: Choppy audio on SPARCstation 5. My fault?
- To: ports_(_at_)_openbsd_(_dot_)_org
- Subject: Re: Choppy audio on SPARCstation 5. My fault?
- From: naddy_(_at_)_mips_(_dot_)_inka_(_dot_)_de (Christian Weisgerber)
- Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 12:35:00 +0000 (UTC)
- Newsgroups: list.openbsd.ports
Henning Brauer <lists-openbsdports_(_at_)_bsws_(_dot_)_de> wrote:
> mpg321 doesn't work so well on sparc. eats up all CPU it can get on my
> SS5/170. mgp123 works flawlessly and thus better by magnitudes for me.
mpg321, or rather the underlying libmad decoder, requires more CPU
than the highly optimized mpg123 player. This doesn't matter on
modern machines--who cares whether the player eats 1% or 2%?--but
it can make all the difference on ten-year old hardware.
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber naddy_(_at_)_mips_(_dot_)_inka_(_dot_)_de