Re: re-enabling cpu auto-detection in mplayer

On Thu, May 16, 2002 at 11:01:36PM -0400, David Lebel wrote:
> Quoting Marc Espie (espie_(_at_)_nerim_(_dot_)_net):
> > FLAVORS=i386 i486 i586 i686 ...
>
> I don't think you can play, realistically enough, movie files under a
> i386 or a i486 (mp3s strech a 486 to its limit).  Thus, that would leave
> only the 586 and 686.

You are correct here. Though the i586 and i686 has a very different
core, so they need to be distinguished. Yet, I don't think you can
(software) decode movies on a i586.

Which leaves us with a i686 and MMX/SSE2 and the like.

> There are I think athlon flags in gcc, but are they really a reliable?

There are no -mathlon flag (on 2.95.3 at least) mentioned in the gcc man
page. Though, several configurations of -f parameters can probably do
make up for that one.

--
Jesper