editors/vim: Can't say "make" as normal user

Hi,

maybe I'm wrong, but: I've always seen in examples
"make && sudo make install" and have decided to organize
things more cleanly this time, when installing 3.0 from
scratch. So I have added the normal user "alex" to the "wsrc"
group and issued "chown alex:wsrc /usr/{src,ports,XF4}".
I've also modified the /etc/sudoers to contain:

  alex alex = NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/make install

Then I've updated /usr/ports via CVS to -rOPENBSD_3_0 and tried:

  cd /usr/ports/editors/vim
  env SUBDIR=stable:no_x11 make

After some time it has failed, because the normal user
didn't have enough permissions to install the libiconv.
The "env SUBDIR=stable:no_x11 make install" worked of
course, but then why bothering with sudo at all?

So my question is: do you guys use something like
"sudo make install"? And if "yes", how do you organize
it and why do you think it's better/safer?

Regards
Alex