Adding a standard regress target?

Some of the programs in our ports collection ship with regression
tests (ranging from perfunctory to very thorough).  Currently there
is no way to run these regression tests from the ports framework.

I wonder whether we should add a standard target ("regress", "test",
"check", whatever) to run those tests.  This would be a step depending
on a successful build, but not called by default.  Obviously it
would need some hooks, such as REGRESS_TARGET.

The way things are going, we're going to have four contempory
architectures (alpha, i386, powerpc, sparc64) plus a couple of legacy
ones.
- Most maintainers will not have access to all these archs.  It would
  be nice if you could simply tell somebody with a strange machine
  to try a "make regress" of your port.
- The people who build packages for a particular arch can't know all
  ports in detail.  It would be nice if you could simply do a "make
  regress" to have at least some confidence that a particular port
  actually works.

I guess the main argument against bothering with this is the low
number of programs that have any regression tests.

What do you think?