Was (on sparc@) Re: Web browser options?

This is sort of a success story / question...

Netscape can run under compat_sunos or compat_svr4 emulation.  I just
did the latter by snagging these from a Solaris 8 box:

/usr/lib/*
/usr/openwin/lib/*
/usr/dt/lib/*

...and followed the instructions in the compat_svr4 manpage.  I then
downloaded Netscape Navigator 4.78 from:

ftp://ftp.netscape.com/pub/communicator/english/4.78/unix/supported/sunos58/navigator_standalone/navigator-v478-us.sparc-sun-solaris2.8.tar.gz

(all one link) and it worked out-of-the-box.  And it even runs faster on
this ss5 under emulation than it did when the box ran Solaris 8  :-)

I'm wondering if this is worth massaging into the netscape port(s),
since sparc (on the surface) doesn't appear to have a gui browser
available, and there's bsdi and linux there already.

Visit your host, monkey.org