Re: Why were all DJB's ports removed? No more qmail?

On Mon, Sep 03, 2001 at 02:50:34AM -0000, D. J. Bernstein wrote:

> http://cr.yp.to/distributors.html and http://cr.yp.to/qmail/dist.html
> say exactly what is permitted, and exactly what is not permitted.
> Hundreds of redistributors are following the rules.

Ok. Theo isn't changing the filesystem layout (nor is Debian),
and you're not allowing changes to the package layout.
End of story.

> > Why do you feel the need to tell us some of what we might do with your
> > software is "ILLEGAL"?
>
> http://cr.yp.to/compatibility.html
> http://cr.yp.to/slashpackage/studies.html

I've heard many people say they wished they could outlaw
stupidity. You've actually taken something you consider
stupid, and made it illegal to do. Congrats :)

> Frankly, Theo, I don't care what you put into your OS. My software has a
> vastly larger user base than yours ever will.

Wow. You've finally sunk to a "mine is bigger than yours is" level.

> But the talk wasn't backed up by solid code. You've had a series of
> security disasters, just like other OS distributors. The latest sendmail
> security hole was the final straw.

Are you going to start "djbnix" or just sit and whine ?

> If you allow garbage like that into your ``audited'' system, how
> can I trust your TCP/IP stack, or your VM code, or your X server?

*Audit it yourself*

Until you have your own OS that has a better security track
record, keep your whining off these lists. While you're at
it, you may want to a web search on google for the words
"gift horse".

- Mike