Re: worthwhile submitting postgresql/powerpc build failure?

Joe Slag <jslag_(_at_)_visi_(_dot_)_com> wrote:

> I'm trying to install the OPENBSD_2_8 postgresql port on a powerpc
> system, but it's not compiling.

In fact, I'm somewhat doubtful that 2.8-stable is all that useful on
powerpc.

> Before spamming the list with the 60k build script as suggested
> at the bottom of www.openbsd.org/ports.html, I wanted to ask if it
> would be helpful,

Thanks, but indeed no.  Pavel and Brad are aware of the problem
and will presumably fix it once they get around it.  However, I
don't expect powerpc fixes to make their way back to ports-stable.
We need to focus our developer resources on making 2.9 a viable
release on powerpc.

> in light of the messages last week about the large number of broken
> ports in powerpc land.

Part of this has been traced to a compiler bug.  Also, powerpc is
our first major platform to use ELF as its binary format.  In fact,
PostgreSQL fails because of a linking problem related to this.