Re: ports for beginners :(

Toni Mueller <openbsd-ports_(_at_)_oeko_(_dot_)_net> wrote:

> - LPRng is marked broken and therefore doesn't even build...
>   Is the proper way to build a BROKEN port to just undefine that
>   BROKEN in the Makefile?

No.  The proper way is to _fix_ whatever problem caused the port
to be marked as broken in the first place.

> - I'm setting up INN-2.3.1 on a machine and discovered underway that
>   there is no port already there. [...]
>   Is anyone already working on it, or am I to roll
>   this into a port once I figure out how to do it?

ISTR that some people have piped up in the recent past with intentions
to port INN but no port has appeared so far.  Making an INN port
shouldn't be intrisically difficult, it's just a lot of work.  And
you need to deal with files under $PREFIX, $SYSCONFDIR, and /var.
(The directory layout used by the FreeBSD port is a good example
how _not_ to do it.)

Not to disparage you, but I'd prefer if somebody with a bit of
experience did the INN port, because otherwise I can already picture
myself having to rewrite it more or less from scratch, and if I
wanted to do that, I'd have already done a port myself.