Re: News server running as stand-alone daemon

 Felix Kronlage a écrit :
> /usr/local/news with the spool being in /var/spool/news ?

 Sorry, I meant patch, not path... And personnaly I prefer to let the
spool news in /usr/local/news/spool, because if /var/spool/news is not a
partition by itself, there is a chance that the spool will full /var wich
is not a good idea.

> but, a lot of the important configuration is done during the ./configure
> step, that's what I meant.

 Like ? There is almost no configuration is the configure.

hell:~/download/server/inn-2.3.0 $ ./configure --help
Usage: configure [options] [host]
Configuration:
  --cache-file=FILE       cache test results in FILE
  --help                  print this message
  --no-create             do not create output files
  --quiet, --silent       do not print `checking...' messages
  --version               print the version of autoconf that created
configure
Directory and file names:
  --prefix=PREFIX         install architecture-independent files in PREFIX
                          [/usr/local/news]
  --exec-prefix=EPREFIX   install architecture-dependent files in EPREFIX
                          [same as prefix]
  --bindir=DIR            user executables in DIR [EPREFIX/bin]
  --sbindir=DIR           system admin executables in DIR [EPREFIX/sbin]
  --libexecdir=DIR        program executables in DIR [EPREFIX/libexec]
  --datadir=DIR           read-only architecture-independent data in DIR
                          [PREFIX/share]
  --sysconfdir=DIR        read-only single-machine data in DIR [PREFIX/etc]
  --sharedstatedir=DIR    modifiable architecture-independent data in DIR
                          [PREFIX/com]
  --localstatedir=DIR     modifiable single-machine data in DIR [PREFIX/var]
  --libdir=DIR            object code libraries in DIR [EPREFIX/lib]
  --includedir=DIR        C header files in DIR [PREFIX/include]
  --oldincludedir=DIR     C header files for non-gcc in DIR [/usr/include]
  --infodir=DIR           info documentation in DIR [PREFIX/info]
  --mandir=DIR            man documentation in DIR [PREFIX/man]
  --srcdir=DIR            find the sources in DIR [configure dir or ..]
  --program-prefix=PREFIX prepend PREFIX to installed program names
  --program-suffix=SUFFIX append SUFFIX to installed program names
  --program-transform-name=PROGRAM
                          run sed PROGRAM on installed program names
Host type:
  --build=BUILD           configure for building on BUILD [BUILD=HOST]
  --host=HOST             configure for HOST [guessed]
  --target=TARGET         configure for TARGET [TARGET=HOST]
Features and packages:
  --disable-FEATURE       do not include FEATURE (same as
--enable-FEATURE=no)
  --enable-FEATURE[=ARG]  include FEATURE [ARG=yes]
  --with-PACKAGE[=ARG]    use PACKAGE [ARG=yes]
  --without-PACKAGE       do not use PACKAGE (same as --with-PACKAGE=no)
  --x-includes=DIR        X include files are in DIR
  --x-libraries=DIR       X library files are in DIR
--enable and --with options recognized:
  --enable-libtool        Use libtool for lib generation [default=no]
  --with-control-dir=PATH Control programs [PREFIX/bin/control]
  --with-db-dir=PATH      News database files [PREFIX/db]
  --with-etc-dir=PATH     News config files [PREFIX/etc]
  --with-filter-dir=PATH  Embedded filters [PREFIX/bin/filter]
  --with-lib-dir=PATH     News lib files [PREFIX/lib]
  --with-log-dir=PATH     Logging directory [PREFIX/log]
  --with-run-dir=PATH     News pid/runtime files [PREFIX/run]
  --with-spool-dir=PATH   News storage [PREFIX/spool]
  --with-tmp-path=PATH    Temporary files directory [PREFIX/tmp]
  --with-sendmail=PATH    Specify path to sendmail
  --with-news-user=USER   News user id [news]
  --with-news-group=GROUP News group id [news]
  --with-news-master=USER News master [usenet]
  --with-syslog-facility=LOG_FAC  Syslog facility [LOG_NEWS or LOG_LOCAL1]
  --with-news-umask=UMASK umask for news files [002]
  --with-innd-port=PORT   Additional low-numbered port for inndstart

 Until there we don't care...

  --enable-tagged-hash    Use tagged hash table for history
  --enable-setgid-inews   Install inews setgid
  --enable-uucp-rnews     Install rnews setuid, group uucp
  --with-perl             Embedded Perl script support [default=no]
  --with-python           Embedded Python module support [default=no]
  --with-tcl              Embedded TCL script support [default=no]

 Those could be flavors.

  --with-largefiles       Support for files greater than 2GB [default=no]

 Can oBSD work with files greater than 2GB ?

  --with-log-compress=METHOD   Log compression method [gzip]
  --with-berkeleydb[=PATH]  Enable BerkeleyDB (for ovdb overview method)
  --enable-shared[=PKGS]  build shared libraries [default=yes]
  --enable-static[=PKGS]  build static libraries [default=yes]
  --enable-fast-install[=PKGS]  optimize for fast installation [default=yes]
  --with-gnu-ld           assume the C compiler uses GNU ld [default=no]
  --disable-libtool-lock  avoid locking (might break parallel builds)
  --with-openssl=PATH     enable OpenSSL [default=no]

 We don't care about all that...

> I see the difficulty in finding a good default for ./configure args.

 There is just 6 options. And we can do flavors for that... But the
configuration I was talking about is the one to do after innd is
installed, and all is to be done by editing file in /usr/local/news/etc

--
 Benjamin `Quisar' Lerman
 quisar_(_at_)_quisar_(_dot_)_ambre_(_dot_)_net                            http://www.ambre.net/quisar