RE: php4 and ucd-snmp

I think the PHP4 port has gone a bit overboard with so many dependencies.

PHP4 port requires (a partial list):
calendar
bcmath
xml
mysql
gdbm
gettext
imap
mm
recode
snmp
openssl
gd
jpeg

I admit that I don't even know what a few of those are. I only got the PHP4
port to build after commenting out a large section of the Makefile (just
about all the dependencies).

On another server I didn't bother with the port and built PHP4 from source
(though I used the Makefile as a guide).

I really like the idea of the Ports tree, in most cases it makes things so
easy and its nice that problems have been fixed for you.  But I think the
Ports model needs to be adjusted somewhat. Rather than basically hard coding
a good deal of the build options into the Port Makefile by default, the
Makefile should build in next to nothing. Everything else should be an
option (or flavor).

Getting back to the PHP port for example, PHP4 requires X ? How many web
masters run X windows on production web servers? Why does it even need X?
That dosn't make alot of sense to me. Also IMAP, GD, mySQL? Nice to have but
I don't think it needs to be required by default.

John