Re: Some current problems of the ports tree

On Tue, Sep 12, 2000 at 06:31:40PM -0400, Christopher S. Turan wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Sep 2000, Marc Espie wrote:
>
> > Those are not broken and should be faked:
> > ===> devel/prc-tools

> broken.  another silly sudo bug. it needs to make /usr/local/pilot and
> can't since its not root.

It's pretty old anyway; I've been exploring to see what it takes
to get it back up to speed.  Palm has changed a bit since they
adopted prc-tools as their token free development platform.

Right now I'm puzzling over (and in fact, was going to ask today)
what to do about its build process.  It needs to patch copies of
gcc, binutils, and gdb and build them; it wants to do it with its
own customized Makefile.  If you do the whole thing as root, your
target is "all-install" -- done.  But if you throw the sudo thing
into the mix, your targets are all-host, install-host, all-gcc,
install-gcc, install-palmdev, all-target, and install-target.  The
install targets need root, obviously.

I have not got so far as to actually unpack it yet and can't for a
few days, but to make it fit within the fake framework is going to
probably take some gyrations unless I'm missing something excessively
simple.

FreeBSD solves this the same way they do all their other cross-tools:
by splitting gcc, binutils, et al into separate ports.

--
Matt Behrens <matt_(_at_)_zigg_(_dot_)_com>
Owner/Administrator, zigg.com