Re: Ports working rules

On Mon, Oct 18, 1999 at 03:07:54PM +0200, Bengt Kleberg wrote:
> > From: Marc Espie <Marc_(_dot_)_Espie_(_at_)_liafa_(_dot_)_jussieu_(_dot_)_fr>
>
> > - NO NEW PORTS UNTIL *ALL* EXISTING ONES ARE FIXED...
>
> Would it not be possible to 'retire' the current ports, and only allow into service the ones that
> 'produce at least one package for one architecture'.

The actual point is in fact to get people to fix stuff that exists.

Fixing existing ports mostly means:
- fixing packing-lists,
- finding ways to handle common short-coming of the current port.

`retiring' ports that don't currently build package doesn't solve those
problems.

Giving porters extra incentive to solve those problems may help...

Obviously, a few ports aren't ever going to end up as packages... I don't
see a legal way to transform ports of commercial applications such as Maple
into `real' packages.

--
	Marc Espie