Re: More talk about packages

On Mon, 18 Oct 1999, Marc Espie wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 18, 1999 at 05:30:53PM +1000, Ian McWilliam wrote:
> > eg mpage-2.5
>
> > would require 2 packages, one package for the US-letter boys and one for us
> > A4 paper people.

I've been thinking about that.  I can remember on several occasions having
to remove Solaris packages because no one documented which configuration
options were in place, and thus were unusable.  The result would be having
to go get src and build it up anyway...

That's part of the reason I like:

On Sun, Oct 17, 1999 at 10:47:37PM -0400, Dug Song wrote:
> i've always wondered why our bsd.port.mk install target didn't just set
> PREFIX to a temporary directory, install there just to create a package,
> and then run pkg_add on the resulting package to do the real install.

...since you can tweak what's going on.  Bad option?  Change what you need
to and redo it...

On Mon, 18 Oct 1999, Marc Espie wrote:
> One more plan for >2.6...  going to provide enough infrastructure to be
> able to discover ports options.  Right now, you have to read the
> Makefile to find out.

*That* would be useful :-)

On Sun, 17 Oct 1999, Theo de Raadt wrote:

> Ports are not what the uninitiated user needs.
>
> The uninitiated user needs packages.

s/uninitiated/linux

I think the ports system works just fine for newbies... I remember a post
not too long ago (forgive me for butchering your words, whoever you are)
that said something like 'make && make install... how much easier can it
be?'

Besides, I've never had the view that OpenBSD was meant for an uninitiated
user.  It always seemed to me that you had to "graduate up" from other
OS's to get to be a decent OpenBSD sysadmin, and by that time you've
learned how to compile stuff and get it installed.  Maybe the fear is that
without more help for the uninitiated, OpenBSD will lose in the OS race,
but I don't see it that way.  I kind of think of it as those who can, will
use it... and discover the rewards.  Those that can't, well, there are
other options (need I list them? :)

Having working packages and a ports tree would be excellent, but I can
only imagine the amount of work involved.  :-(

Just my $0.02

--Bill
<wyodlowsky_(_at_)_route1_(_dot_)_nj_(_dot_)_devry_(_dot_)_edu>

Visit your host, monkey.org