OpenOffice with JRE or without?

In investigating what's needed to install & configure OpenOffice, I see on their Website that I have the choice of downloading it with or without the JRE.  Remembering some of traffic here discussing the issues of installing/compiling Java 1.5, how stable is the Linux JRE on OpenBSD?  Am I better off downloading OpenOffice without the JRE & expect to build it myself?  In this case, am I forced to install/compile Java before installing OpenOffice?

Thanks for any shared candor.