Re: Good GigE 8-port switch?

Christian Weisgerber wrote:

MikeM <the_(_dot_)_lists_(_at_)_mgm51_(_dot_)_com> wrote: > I've had good experiences with SMC as well, specifically the SMC8508T > http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?event=viewProduct&localeCode=EN_USA&cid=6&s > cid=&pid=1147

That's an "unmanaged switch".  It does not support VLANs/QoS, which
the original poster requested.

Yes, but as SMC seems to be recommended I also consider this switch which is really cheap as a backup solution in the case I decide to go w/o any advanced features. Anyway, I asked SMC and they do not plan to introduce smart/web managed 8-port switch, so the choice for now at least from SMC is SMCGS16-Smart available here:
http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?event=viewProduct&localeCode=EN_CZE&cid=7&scid=39&pid=1485

It's still considered if to go with 8 additional "useless" ports or not. Funny thing is that power consumption should be even lower than 8 ports OvisLink's and SMC's doc claims this:

``The web agent can be accessed by any computer on the network using a standard web browser (Internet Explorer 5.5 or above, or Mozilla Firefox 1.0 or above).''

nice to see firefox supported, on the other hand it might adds some security worries about web management console accessible from any connected computer...

Anyway, thanks to all of you recommending products you do have good experience with!

Karel
PS: someone recommended Dell PowerConnect, their 2708 version looks really nice and it's even cheap in US (~$80), but here it costs after recalculation back to US$ around $300, which makes it even more expensive than the SMC GS16-smart above. Strange Dell-world...
--
Karel Gardas kgardas_(_at_)_objectsecurity_(_dot_)_com
ObjectSecurity Ltd. http://www.objectsecurity.com

Visit your host, monkey.org