University Module Choice

Hello,
I'm currently studying for a BSc in Network Computing. I'm in a dilemma as
to whether to pick a module in C++ or one in low level techniques (covering
assembly language).
My goal from getting the degree is to have a better understanding of
information systems security and hopefully be able to contribute  code back
to the FOSS community.
Can anyone advise on which of the two module choices would be best in
achieving these goals? Being exam time, lecturers seem a bit preoccupied,
and I'd like to start self study as soon as possible.

Hope someone can help.
Regards,
Tom

Visit your host, monkey.org